We all know social skills are important. I mean...lets be honest, even many ADHD adults struggle to navigate the social world. So I invited Caroline Maguire to talk with me about coaching neurodivergent children on social skills.
We drop a lot of great examples in this episode, as well as some very useful techniques for coaching your own child.
I cannot overstate how impactful Caroline's work has been for my son and I. And how wonderful she is to talk to.
You will hear us discuss:
- Everyone focuses on academics, when they should be focused on social skills
- A simple definition of executive function
- Metacognition explained
- What it means to be mentally flexible
- How to take a, "coach approach" to talking to your kids
- Why low self-awareness is a problem for children and adults
- Teaching children to recognize reactive behavior and anger in themselves
- Showing our children that friendships are active
Link to Caroline's Website Support the show
Amazon link to Why Will No One Play With Me?
Meet other ADHD moms in the ADHD Enclave!